Monday, December 28, 2020

Elegies

The road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began
Now far ahead the road has gone
Let others follow it who can!
Let them a journey new begin,
But I at last with weary feet
Will turn towards the lighted inn,
My evening-rest and sleep to meet.

Sleep well, Christopher. Thank you for sharing your father's dreams with us.

Kevin Black for Christopher Tolkien Facebook, 2020

Attribution:
It's Bilbo's final version, recited right before he falls asleep in his chair at Rivendell after the Ring has been destroyed. J.R.R.Tolkien, Return of the King, 1965, p266



Under the wide and starry sky,
Dig the grave and let me lie.
Glad did I live and gladly die.    
 And I laid me down with a will.


This be the verse you grave for me:    
“Here he lies where he longed to be;
Home is the sailor, home from sea,
 And the hunter home from the hill.”
Requiem.  R.A. Heinlein, 1935.

From
This is the epitaph Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894) wrote for himself. It is carved on his gravestone at Vailima in Samoa.

No comments: