Friday, July 10, 2009

ESP, Magic Thinking, and brain waves.

Beliefnet Community > Thread - Magic Thinking:

Not just ... but ESP, are included in the 'wishes come true' category.
Blü

If brain wave synchronization isn't ESP I would like to hear your definition of it.

Musicians sync up brain waves all the time and can even link with an audience. If you don't think a string quartet is mentally a single unit, which frequently involves an entire chamber audience, maybe you better go to a chamber concert some time. In larger venues it is harder to sync up, but it occasionally happens. I once was in a performance of the Missa Solemnis for 2000 people in Carnegie hall that for a moment had 2500 people believing in life after death. As a performer I could feel the energy from maestro, the rest of the chorus, orchestra and the audience all feeding off the Et Vitam fugue."

This was Robert Shaw conducting the New York Choral Society substituting for the hospitalized Bob DeCormier. The whole performance was magical and the melding with the audience was frequent but in the Et Vitam Venturi Saeculi, Amen (And the life in the world to come, So be it.) fugue the Maestro had everyone in the hall on the tip of his baton believing in the music if not the words.

I don't know how much of the Mass Beethoven believed in if any, but in the Missa Solemnis he certainly did his job as a musician and made the whole Mass believable and involving. In a good performance I would expect that a good Catholic or Lutheran would be in communion with God for the entire performance and beyond.

3 comments:

J'Carlin said...

I have often wondered if it is even possible to perform the Et Vitam at the tempo it is usually done by watching the stick. If you aren't in sync with your section the performance will be mud.

Anonymous said...

Greetings all - I'm a brand new member on this forum and I would say I should mention a couple things about myself. Umm, I'm 26 years old, male, plus I study french in my uni. I for sure hope chatting with all you guys... bye bye x

J'Carlin said...

Hi Anon, anons are welcome, but it takes a little more relevant content to get past the spam filter. Anons have to work a little harder.