For information about donating blood at a Heinlein Society Drive or any drive for that matter,
Text your question in USA to THS Blood Drive Chair
650 520 8765 BDC THS
WHY SOULD I DONATE BLOOD?
- You save several lives.
- You get a short nap.
- You get a free lunch.
- You learn needles aren't scary. --- Where is the downside?
CAN I DONATE?
- Your local blood center or Red Cross Web page usually has most concerns covered and a number to call for special concerns. E.g. http://www.redcrossblood.org/donating-blood/eligibility-requirements/eligibility-criteria-topic
- Blood Centers of the Pacific http://www.bloodcenters.org/donate-blood/am-i-eligible/
RECENT ELIGIBILITY CHANGES.
- Tattoos, acupuncture and piercings: no deferral in many states for licensed single use facilities. One year otherwise.
- Medically controlled diabetes and high blood pressure: generally no deferral.
- MSM - Men who have had sex with other men and partners: One year deferral since last contact. NO LONGER LIFETIME!!!! YAY!!! You are welcome. A long hard battle by many friends.
- MAD COWS - Military and residents in UK late 80s and certain others in Europe at that time are still deferred. We are working on it.
- See above.
- If you have been told by a blood collection agency or other medical professional not to donate blood, get clearance from that professional before scheduling an appointment. Some changes in eligibility have been noted above.