Monday, May 11, 2009

Thinking about Death.

Beliefnet Community > Thread - My Story: Atheist by Necessity, not by Choice!:

"Personally I find that the probability of an afterlife is close to zero is quite liberating. As Forrest Church says in Love and Death, love survives death and those we have loved and made a difference in their lives will love us in return and as we think of those who have died with love and respect those who follow us will pay it forward with the same love and respect. They will tell stories about me to the next few generations and maybe someone will learn something. I do my best in life to build a Legacy that will be worth telling stories about.

Just recently I passed some advice from my father, a great athlete, to his great grandson who will probably not be a great athlete but who is trying to learn a sport for fun. Maybe my grandson didn't even listen, but the time I spent with the memories of my father and the love I still gave and received from him makes his death merely a release from the pain of the cancer that took his life."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about How Life on earth ever began? This question is more related to abiogenesis, but my point is: I just find it too unlikely or improbable that life started just by itself expontaneously. I know christians Jump immediately to the conclusion that their very specific God (The father of Jesus Christ) must have been the author of this. Is Funny when I think about it, because it doesn't even require a supernatural being involved in it: for all we know it could have been an alien from another galaxy. There is no doubt in my mind that life forms in this planet evolved from simple forms to more complex as evidenced by fossil record, and DNA, Morphology, etc., etc..
Evolution is basically a fact of science! IF a christian still want to argue for creationism, then Good Luck!

But coming back to my question, The fact that life might have begun by an external being, does it make it possible in your mind a tiny possibility of a "God" being involved?