Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"Find Me" on the internet

"Find Me" on the internet - Beliefnet Forums:
When asked what he wants most in life, August answers, "To be found." This, I believe, is one of the most profound and simple statements one human can make and it explains an innate purpose for living that we rarely admit to ourselves. What good would there come from 'living forever' if you had to do it "alone?" I say "alone" in the sense that you might be surrounded by people, even family, that don't necessarily "find you."

One of the wonders of the internet is that almost insignificant minorities, in our case atheists, can 'find' one another and make connections that can in some cases transcend death. In response to a blog post you mentioned our late friend from the "late" boards at beliefnet Charles Fiterman. I responded with an obscure reference to his appreciation thread and his daughter asked me about it on the blog. In effect, you must have been a friend of my father, but I don't know you. Who are you?"

2 comments:

Exploringinside said...

Another profound statement is found at the conclusion of the movie (and I paraphrase slightly)..."Whatever you seek, it's all there in the music...all you have to do is listen."

My dad used to say, "When you want to know something. quit talking and listen." There is a universal wisdom in the idea of shuting down the external and internal dialogue long enough to hear the knowledge, the music, all around you.

May I be quiet enough to hear and loud enough to be heard.

J'Carlin said...

I have learned that multitasking just doesn't work for me, and imo for anybody. If there is music on in the background, whether at a supermarket or on my radio in the car, when something I need to listen to comes on, I stop what I am doing and listen full time. Fortunately elevator music seldom has anything I need to listen to. But my local classical stream KDFC.com frequently "disrupts" my day.