Friday, July 1, 2016

Poe's Law

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 
Poe's law is an Internet adage which states that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, parodies of extreme views will be mistaken by some readers or viewers for sincere expressions of the parodied views.[1][2][3]

History[edit]

"Poe's law" was originally written by Nathan Poe in 2005, in a post on christianforums.com, an Internet forum about Christianity. The post was written in the context of a debate about creationism, where a previous poster had remarked to another user "Good thing you included the winky. Otherwise people might think you are serious."[4] Poe then replied, "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is uttrerly [sic] impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone won't mistake for the genuine article."[1] The original statement of Poe's law referred specifically to creationism, but it has since been generalized to apply to any kind of fundamentalism or extremism.[3]  


Corollary I:
Parodies of extreme views of belief systems will always be accepted as TRUTH™ by adherents to the belief system.
Corollary II:
Any fundamentalist preaching on a belief system political or religious is indistinguishable from parody.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Um. . .with that post about the life celebration and ashes, I was under the impression you had passed away. Color me confused, but I hope I was wrong.

J'Carlin said...

Alive and as contentious as ever. I will make that clear on the Life celebration post. Thanks for the heads up about the possible confusion. A diagnosis of advanced cancer with no warning makes getting things like advanced directives, etc. a hurry up project and the blog post is part of the advanced directive under the category of "religious beliefs"

I almost needed the AD at one point, Thursday night after the first Infusion Chemo the opening chords of the Rach 2 were playing for me but the ER finally figured things out and got the body working again.

I find out Monday 4 July how the second round of Chemo worked and what the next steps will be.

The saga is documented on Facebook under Carlin Black if you are interested. I have a very few friends there you might be interested in one of whom also named Black that you may have known as gooddogma-sit.

Unknown said...

Good to know you are still alive and kicking, sorry to hear about the cancer. My Dad's been struggling with that ailment for a few years now.

Crapaud said...

J'Carlin: I'm distressed to hear about the cancer. I'll pray for you.

I don't come here often. Perhaps once since Christmas. It doesn't seem (forgive me) to have the vibrancy of the old BeliefNet. Do you know where any of the others hang out these days? Seems ages since I had a good debate.

Yo, Faustus5. How's it hanging?

I'm not sure how my identity will appear on this comment - it seems to have registered me automatically with my Google account. If you don't recognise me, I used to post as Lavengro.

J'Carlin said...

Yo Lavengro - Pray away! Something is working. Just saw part of my team who was on call for the Fourth and invited me in to take a look. After the second round of Chemo the tumor is almost gone. The surgeon says she can still feel the kernel but that many options for a cure are now open after the third Chemo that won't destroy my voice.

Many of us have Facebook accounts with few friends that we use for things like keeping up with former beliefnetters. Many have migrated to a closed group called US News & Politics started by Cynthia (Merope) and Tracy (Cesmom.) Decoding IDs is in the first comment of the pinned post. You have to click on "additional comments" at the top to see it.

About the only good religious discussions these days are on Patheos. I get them second hand from one of my Pagan friends.

Your insightful comments would always be welcome here or especially on the companion blog Thinking on the Blue Roads on which I try to be more reasoned and concise (linked at the bottom of About Me.) Your thoughts on Jesuism from a Christian viewpoint would be especially welcome.

Crapaud said...

Pray away! I knew that, unlike some old BNers, you wouldn't be offended.

Something is working. Just saw ... the tumor is almost gone. See how powerful my prayers are *BG*. Good news, indeed.

...Chemo that won't destroy my voice. I am very pleased. I know how much singing means to you.

Your thoughts on Jesuism from a Christian viewpoint would be especially welcome. I am about to go away for a week. Don't go away....

I'll try and check out Patheos.

Tony