Saturday, October 20, 2012

Atheist Living

Beliefnet
It is almost impossible to not be moral and compassionate if you are an atheist as there is no alternative.  You have no choice but to do the very best you can for the expanding circle of people that you consider your chosen society.  It isn't so much having an apple fall on your head, we can't always be so lucky or so smart, but we do what we can to make it probable that those that are can take advantage of it.  Education, critical thinking, and creative attitudes can all be encouraged, and certainly exploring top level thinking like the existentialists is important to being able to take advantage of those opportunities. 

3 comments:

Ron Cupcakehead said...

Extremely well put. I have been atheist pretty much since I could walk, and I'm constantly telling people how much I think about the very same issues religious people think about (being kind and good, community, etc.). I just don't feel I need a religious structure behind what should come naturally to every human being. To each their own, as long as it's on a positive path.

J'Carlin said...

I would go a bit further, and observe that some religions seem to be in the business of stifling this natural drive to be kind and good and improve the community, by restricting the community to much too small a group. Fortunately this group seems to be aging out in most parts of the country.

I like to think of my community as all educated, rational, and creative people even though I know very few personally. The success of anyone in this community is my success, and if I have touched any however briefly, to help them along I am successful.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.