Monday, April 2, 2012

On Prejudice

Prejudice.
During those years I came to understand that there is a difference between prejudice and bigotry. Prejudice is exactly what it sounds like: a pre-judgment, an opinion that you have before you learn any specific facts about the situation. Your prejudices may be justified or unjustified, they may save your life or create dangerous confrontations out of nothing.
Doug Mudder
I spent many years in Manhattan in the "bad years" '60s and '70s. My preferred mode of transportation was walking at all hours of day and night. I either needed to get control of my prejudice or fear would keep me inside. Once I learned the signs of danger from individuals or groups, I found that racial and ethnic prejudice was actually creating danger for me by ignoring the trouble signs from "my kind of people." The few times I had trouble were because I didn't "cross the street" to avoid trouble signs from my kind.

2 comments:

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

I can certainly appreciate your thoughts; I had the same ones for maaany years. Yet, I grew-up after our accident which left my girl dead and I with 17% of my brain missin (how old she was BTW - you may read bout it on my blog). I believe God's present in our lives in the way we grow-up: some people take a more leisurely course to find Him, while some take a direct path. I hope youNeye will someday soon meet-up Upstairs. Nevertheless... if God doesn’t exist, why do you hate Him so much?? If God does exist, why don’t you follow us Home to Heaven Above if you‘re gonna croak as I am? How long do we have to enjoy this finite existence? 77ish, measly years? Compared to the length and breadth of eternity, 77ish years is like a nanometer in the whole, bloody, universe!! Why don’t we have a BIG-ol, roxx-our-holy-soxx, party-hardy celebrating our resurrection for many eons? Heaven TOTALLY kicks-ass for the length and breadth of eternity. Thank you proFUSEly, and God bless you, for the wick is running out on U.S. _thewarningsecondcoming.com_

J'Carlin said...

Dr. KK
Thanks for the proselytizing, it adds flavor to the blog.

But I don't hate God, I just haven't found any good reason to follow anyone home to heaven. Worrying about eternity after living a while is as foolish as worrying about the eternity before I was born. Both would use up much of the valuable time I have to live. There is no more evidence for life after death than there is for previous life before birth. Lots of people are willing to try to sell me beliefs about both, but I am not buying. Too busy living.