Saturday, December 5, 2009

God, Humans and Nothing

Inferring gods' character from nature - Beliefnet:

Regardless of whether you believe a personal being is responsible for it or if nature is, you are wholly dependent on someone or something else for your existence and the continuation of it, and for every thought and action that you take. Without something or someone else, you are nothing. We all are nothing on our own. Yes we can do things, we can make a difference by our wills, but ultimately we can take credit for nothing. If we reach out and touch people, we do it with the hands that we did not make.
jonny42



J'C: "I have no problem with being interdependent with all in my chosen society present and past. My parents, from a long line of sapient beings, and an even longer line of successful living creatures, taught me to speak and think, and the moral precepts to take my place in that society. I affect my society and in turn am affected by it. But neither my society nor myself is nothing, and we can take credit for all the wonderful things that society past and present gives us. When we reach out and touch people it is an acknowledgment that we are humans and responsible for not only those we touch but those they touch and have touched."

And a God that stimulates the quote is worth less than nothing.

2 comments:

Exploringinside said...

JC,

Your sense of restraint is admirable; in a public forum I don't believe I could or would even want to hide my disgust and loathing for such sentiments that denegrate both the human and the human spirit.

The slaves have apparently been well indoctrinated. They symbolically prostrate themselves while lamenting in shrieks and cries, "I am not worthy!" This is a self-fulfilling declaration if there ever was one.

J'Carlin said...

Actually I was just being nice to a newbie. Same thread later post
jonny42 wrote:
If the god of the Bible is for real...how has he displayed evil to you in your life?

I don't let him in my life, mostly because I have read the Bible, and the God depicted therein with the possible exception of Jesus who is probably not God, is about as evil as they come.