Friday, October 3, 2008

Is God just spiritual experience?

Why Athism? - Beliefnet Forums: "I don't think spiritual experience is supernatural at all. I think it is a basic, indeed primitive human need. But I also see no reason not to strip God of all of Herm supernatural accretions, and use God as a referent for spiritual experience.

I will admit that disambiguation from the supernatural omnipotent alpha humanoid may be a greater challenge than I am up to, but I have come to the conclusion that God and that spiritual experience are one and the same. I also think it is what theists are trying to convey with their blather about God being the beauty of the cosmos, or a pretty sunset, or a butterfly."

1 comment:

Exploringinside said...

If you refer to my 3 last comments attached to the Musical Transcendance subject you have about 1/3 of my thoughts on spirituality.

I am not sure that we're doing anyone any favors by allowing "God" to be the referent for human spiritual experiences. One of the "purposes" of "God the concept" and all the related mythology is the idealization of "perfection," if it indeed existed. I believe we need to embrace our "humaness;" we should respect the value of trial and error and respect the growth that naturally arises as one works to overcome their imperfections and the effects of the chaos and randomness that is a natural part of life.