Thursday, August 7, 2008

On prayer

In my email:

A friend sent me an email this morning that was a chain letter about prayer.
The idea is that you say a prayer to bless the person who sent you the
email and then you forward the email to at least 5 of your friends who
will pray for you.

I didn't want to forward that particular email as it had pictures and
content that I didn't feel the need to share, especially as I am not a
member of the particular religion.
However, I sure did pray for her and I like the idea of "pay it
forward" email prayer.
A great deal of research has been done on the power of prayer and I
believe in it, even though I am still working on defining my specific
religious beliefs and spiritual identity.

I thought it would be nice to start again using my own thoughts and
words and make it personal and ask all of you to pray for me and mine
today.
I don't care if you forward this email on as it is or write one of
your own, but I think the internet prayer circle is a neat idea.

3 comments:

J'Carlin said...

I am happy to pray for you and yours, as I pray for anyone who requests it or seems to need it. The fact that your god is rather amorphous is no problem, I am used to the UU prayer beginning with "To Whom it may concern." My theory is that any god worthy of any sort of belief is powerful enough to hear all prayers offered for Herm believers and track them down for the blessing.

I will not send on the prayer request, as I find prayer a useless exercise for me personally. If it is to be it is up to me to do it. If you want to help me "do it" you will have to find out what it is and figure out how to help. I would welcome the help, but telling a supernatural omnipotent alpha humanoid to get cracking doesn't impress me as help.

I do appreciate the thought and the email. it is always a pleasure to hear from you.

The prayer is in the air-

J'Carlin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J'Carlin said...

This morning's response:

I don't pray to a deity
I just pray
I suppose what I do it more like meditating
Or summoning
Something like that

Mostly, I just liked the idea of all of us chain-praying for each
other in some weird cyber-cult fashion
I guess I like it the way I like that Green holiday where we all
turned out our lights in sequence across the globe
I like experiments to try to get large segments of humanity working
together in some way for common benefit