Sunday, July 6, 2008

Creating Gods

Darwinists for Jesus - Beliefnet Forums: "humans have been creating gods since the beginning of being sapient. Some of the earliest prehistoric figurines were fertility goddesses. Gods are useful for Kings and Shamans to make the buck stop somewhere up there instead of here where it belongs. But be that as it may, I was created from an extraordinarily long line of individuals doing their best to survive and pass on their genetic and recently memetic heritage. ...We are much too busy surviving and doing our best to pass on our genetic and memetic heritage so that those that follow us will have a better and more intellectually exciting world to live in."

3 comments:

Exploringinside said...

I guess I haven't seen that much "creative force" employed to devise "gods" for various purposes. What I do see is lots of folks wanting "to know more than they do" and getting a bit lost or tangled when trying "to know" in the wrong way.

J'Carlin said...

You and I must live in a different world, EI. Maybe because your relative's God world is static.

My UU background probably influenced my OP, but it seems that everybody there is trying to create a god that will work for them. Sometimes I despair that evolution will ever get rid of that God spot in the brain. BTW the only purpose of God I have found is the traditional fill the gaps function. The "higher power" that will do all the stuff people don't want to do for themselves.

Exploringinside said...

C,

We do not live in different worlds, just in different portions of it. My UU exposure was precipitated by a girl I was dating and a high school english teacher that was an "Atheist UU." They introduced me to one of the Assistant Pastors of that particular UU Church who was also an atheist and who specifically "ministered" to the other atheists that were church members. At that time I was being "recruited" by both the Libertarians and the Objectivists, and the Objectivists "won."

In the process of "breaking free" from the AoG, I was admitedly intolerant of any God concepts and could not "see" theists and non-theists "sharing a church.